Mull - Island of Eagles and Otters
Saturday 28th April - Saturday 5th May 2018 (This tour can be combined with the Scottish Highlands Wildlife tour with a saving of £200 on the combined prices).
Lying a brief 15 minute ferry crossing from the Scottish mainland, Mull has become known as the 'Sea Eagle' capital of Britain. What is less well known is that it also holds the UK's densest population of Golden Eagles too!
On this tour we will search for Eagles, and other raptors (Peregrine, Hen Harrier, Merlin, Short-eared Owl etc.), summer visitors such as Northern Wheatear, Whinchat and Corncrake as well as taking two wildlife watching boat trips. One boat journey will be a full(ish) day trip to the Treshnish Islands including Fingals Cave and Lunga Island. This latter location is home to thousands of breeding seabirds including Atlantic Puffins, Razorbills, Common Guillemots and European Shags. The shorter boat trip will be to see feeding Sea Eagles as well as looking out for other seabirds such as Common Eiders and Scoters. Other coastal areas will be searched from the land as we look out for Otters, Great Northern and Red-throated Divers and we may even see Porpoises or other cetaceans. Sandy bays may hold migrating waders such as Whimbrel, Ruddy Turnstone, Dunlin and Sanderling which will be passing through on their way to their Arctic breeding grounds.
We will be based for the whole week at a lovely hotel overlooking the Sound of Mull and with views to the Glencoe mountains.
Leaders for this tour: Mike and Liz Read
Price: £1350 per person in twin or double room.
Single supplement £230 per person.
Deposit: £350 per person.
- Minibus transport from and back to Inverness where the tour begins (pick-up can be from Inverness Airport, Inverness Railway Station or a hotel in Inverness). Alternatively you can meet us at the hotel on Mull (ask for a revised price).
- Accommodation on Mull in a super hotel with a friendly atmosphere and excellent food. The hotel has an indoor swimming pool and a gym which is free to residents.
- Picnic lunches.
- 3 return ferry crossings including to Iona.
- Boat trips for fishing Sea Eagles and out to the Treshnish Islands as described above.
Price does not include:
- Transport to and from Inverness where the tour begins.
- Accommodation in or near Inverness if you need it before or after the tour.
- Alcoholic drinks and items of a personal nature.