Corsica - Wildlife on the Isle de Beaute
Sunday 28th April - Sunday 5th May 2019 (7 nights - 8 days)
Corsica, the fourth largest island in the Mediterranean, is a truly beautiful location to visit. Mountains rise to more than twice the height of Britain's tallest mountain, Ben Nevis. There are two endemic birds to see as well as lots of endemic plant species. The people are friendly and the food and wine are pretty good too!
The tour begins with a four night stay in the Restonica Valley close to Corte. From here we visit mountain valleys to search for Corsican Nuthatch, Lammergeier, Golden Eagle, Alpine Chough, Mouflon and a whole lot more besides. Plants can include Corsican Crocus, Corsican Hellebore and perhaps our first few Orchid species. Needless to say that on this easy-going tour, the vehicle takes the strain of getting us up to the higher ground.
We then move to the coast stopping off at an 'etang' or two before reaching our second hotel for the remaining three nights. Migration should still be in full swing with Warblers, Flycatchers, European Bee-eaters, and, hopefully, Golden Orioles and Red-footed Falcons all heading through. Our final two full days will be spent close to our second hotel around the Etang de Biguglia and visiting the northern end of Corsica at Cap Corse. At the first of these locations we will seek out Herons, Egrets, Terns and Flamingos and a few wader species including possible Stone Curlew. Cap Corse has to be one of the best spring migration watch points in the western Mediterranean. It is a place where literally anything can turn up! In the past we have seen hundreds of Whinchats in a single visit, lots of raptors including Black Kites, Honey Buzzards and various Harriers passing through as well as Wryneck, Black-eared Wheatear, Icterine Warbler and European Roller.
Leader for this tour: Mike Read
Price: £1195.00 per person in twin or double room (+ flights).
Single supplement £270.00 per person (+ flights).
Deposit: £350 per person.
- Minibus travel during the tour in Corsica.
- Accommodation and all meals in Corsica including picnic lunches.
- Morning Coffees if a suitable café can be found each day.
- Wine or a soft drink at dinner on the final evening.
Price does not include:
- Flights (for legal reasons I am unable to book your flights but will give guidance and web links for you to do so).
- Transport to and from the departure UK airport and any overnights before or after the tour.
- Alcoholic drinks and items of a personal nature.
- Afternoon tea/coffee and coffee etc. after dinner at the hotels